Hospital employed doctors
Even though you may be indemnified for civil claims by your employer, it is still prudent to ensure you have your own independent protection.
In addition to 24 hour access to MIPS' experienced clinical medico-legal advisers, we provide a range of other benefits* including assistance with:
- reports for the coroner
- addressing Medical Practitioner Board complaints
- representation at hearings, e.g. HCCC, tribunals
- representation for professional disputes with your employer
- proof of indemnity for registration purposes
- Good Samaritan cover
- indemnity for locum shifts or other membership categories for non-employer indemnified practice
- special member benefit offers, and
- flexible and portable protection when moving between hospitals/states
*See membership benefits handbook including product disclosure statement.
Consider the following short case study and ask yourself: do I need MIPS membership?
Allegation of professional misconduct
Nursing staff complained that a hospital doctor had written up a clinical examination he had not performed. The allegation was reported by the hospital to the Health Care Complaints Committee (HCCC) some two years later. The doctor, who denied all allegations, was investigated by the HCCC and a charge of professional misconduct was made. The HCCC then brought prosecution of the matter to the Medical Tribunal.
The doctor was provided with assistance from MIPS, and the matter was successfully defended, at a defence cost in excess of $40,000.
Complaints at the level of the HCCC can take a lot of time and effort to resolve. Members are advised to always seek assistance from MIPS before replying to any HCCC or Medical Board complaint.
- MIPS also provides valuable clinical risk management education within most public hospitals throughout Australia through our medico-legal workshops. Our sessions are often broadcast to regional hospitals.
- Employer Indemnified doctors with MIPS have access to an extensive range of membership benefits, such as MIPS Members’ Medical Indemnity Insurance Policy, MIPS Protections, the Group Personal Accident Policy, free risk education, publications, special membership benefit offers and more.
Australian defence force
MIPS membership benefits can also assist members with matters which might arise from their practice as a member of the Australian Defence Force. Sometimes representation by an experienced medico-legal team who are not also representing the wider interests of the ADF may be necessary to protect the interests of members. MIPS has experienced medico-legal staff who hold concurrent senior ADF appointments so is better able to understand and advise members regarding matters that arise from their ADF practice. As well as ADF matters, Reservists will find that MIPS membership will provide protection for their civilian practice.
If you’re not already a member of MIPS, apply to join us or request a membership fee estimate today.