Indemnity for placements and electives
MIPS membership gives students indemnity insurance and support should there be a complaint, investigation or legal action as a result of your involvement in any healthcare you provide as a student.
Indemnity cover for your electives in Australia (eg John Flynn Placement Program) is automatic if you are a MIPS member. You must meet some criteria.
The indemnity cover applies for any of your clinical placements and healthcare activities (including electives, observerships, scholarship and exchange programs).
This applies to both Australian and international university students undertaking placements or healthcare activities as a student in Australia.
Student placements and healthcare activities
MIPS membership provides indemnity cover for healthcare students doing clinical placements and healthcare activities such as:
- exchange programs
There is no need to notify us, cover is automatically provided for members if the activities are:
- commensurate with the level of education, training and experience for a healthcare student
- appropriately supervised by a registered healthcare practitioner which includes direct or indirect supervision that provides adequate access to communication, oversight, interaction, direction and support from your supervisor throughout the activity.
- employer indemnified, OR
- non-employer indemnified and you are not being remunerated nor volunteering (eg St Johns, charity groups etc.)
If you are unsure whether you are employer indemnified, you should obtain confirmation from your employer/hospital/clinic/university that they will provide indemnity for as MIPS cannot advise you if you are employer indemnified for your practice.
If your placement or activity does not meet the criteria above please submit a Student Placements, Healthcare Activities form for assessment.
Medical students working in roles to assist with COVID-19 pandemic
MIPS' free student membership classification is appropriate if you are performing a role to assist with COVID-19:
- Where the role is employer indemnified (ie the hospital agrees to provide cover)
- irrespective of whether the role is volunteer or paid
As with all membership you must have appropriate training and experience for the healthcare services you provide. You must appropriately supervised by a registered healthcare practitioner (which includes direct or indirect supervision that provides adequate access to communication, oversight, interaction, direction and support from your supervisor throughout the activity).
Protection during your elective
MIPS’ indemnity covers student healthcare activities such as:
- observation, taking a history or performing the physical examination of a patient
- writing a patient management plan and interpreting investigations
- administration and principles of admitting and discharging patients
- communicating with patients, relatives and staff
- basic clinical activities (dressing wounds, venepuncture, cannulation, suturing, assisting in surgery)
- basic dental activities (scale/clean, oral health instruction, simple extractions, restorations).
See the Membership Benefits Handbook and the Members' Insurance Covers Handbook for more detail.