Students studying medicine, dentistry, oral health or other healthcare disciplines such as nuclear medicine technology may apply for MIPS membership. International students in Australia may also be eligible to apply.
Student membership is free
It's simple - apply online now. It takes 1-2 minutes to complete the form and membership is free for students. The key membership benefit is indemnity insurance, so you have insurance cover for any healthcare services you provide as a student such as:
- taking a history or performing the physical examination of a patient
- writing a patient management plan
- administration and principles in admitting and discharging patients
- ordering and interpreting investigations
- communicating with patients, relatives and staff
See terms and conditions.
Medical students working in roles to assist with COVID-19 pandemic
MIPS' free student membership classification is appropriate if you are performing a role to assist with COVID-19:
- Where the role is employer indemnified (ie the hospital agrees to provide cover)
- irrespective of whether the role is volunteer or paid
As with all membership you must have appropriate training and experience for the healthcare services you provide. You must be appropriately supervised by a registered healthcare practitioner (which includes direct or indirect supervision that provides adequate access to communication, oversight, interaction, direction and support from your supervisor throughout the activity).
If you are undertaking a role that doesn't meet these guidelines, refer to placements below for further information or complete a Student Placements, Healthcare Activities form for assessment.
Student placements and healthcare activities
MIPS membership provides indemnity cover for healthcare students doing clinical placements and healthcare activities such as:
- exchange programs
There is no need to notify us, cover is automatically provided for members if the activities are:
- commensurate with the level of education, training and experience for a healthcare student
- appropriately supervised by a registered healthcare practitioner which includes direct or indirect supervision that provides adequate access to communication, oversight, interaction, direction and support from your supervisor throughout the activity.
- employer indemnified, OR
- non-employer indemnified and you are not being remunerated nor volunteering (eg St Johns, charity groups etc.)
If you are unsure whether you are employer indemnified, you should obtain confirmation from your employer/hospital/clinic/university that they will provide indemnity for as MIPS cannot advise you if you are employer indemnified for your practice.
If your placement or activity does not meet the criteria above please submit a Student Placements, Healthcare Activities form for assessment.
- MIPS Assist for non-healthcare indemnity matters (for example we've helped students with complaints made against them by their university, disputes with their university and complaints from a hospital where they've done rounds)
- Communicable diseases cover (ie if you contract AIDS, HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C)
- Comprehensive indemnity cover up to $20 million with no sub-limits
- 24-hour Clinico-Legal Support (this service is available to all members at no additional cost).
If you expect to graduate in the next 12 months you can apply ahead of time to upgrade your membership to recent graduate basis. Currently, if you apply as a recent graduate (eg final year student), you will receive free membership from the day you complete your studies to 30 June. You can apply any time in your final year.